Rhubarb syrup, obtained by boiling with sugar, in addition to the perfect taste and aroma, also has many therapeutic properties: detoxifying, tonic rich in minerals and vitamins such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc and vitamin C, digestive, diuretic, good for the treatment of anemia, anorexia and asthenia.
- - a pot
- - a sieve for separating the syrup
- - glass containers
- Remove the leaves from the rhubarb stem, as they are poisonous. Then clean the wood with a vegetable cleaner or simply try to peel them from one end, by pinching with the tip of a knife, then pull the wood fiber. After removing the peel/bark (woody part), the rhubarb sticks are washed well under running water.
- Cut rhubarb stalks into slices of about 1-2 cm and add to the pan.
- Add the water over the sliced rhubarb and let it boil until they become very soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- At this point, add the strawberries and let them boil for about 5 more minutes, until the syrup turns a nice color, then turn off the heat.
- Leave to cool for about 5 minutes and then strain the syrup using a sieve.
- We put the obtained liquid together with the sugar to boil, over medium heat, chewing occasionally until the sugar dissolves completely. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, until slightly thickened.
To make sure the syrup is cooked enough, pour a teaspoon of syrup into a bowl and let it cool for 2-3 minutes. If it will tighten (bind), then the syrup is ready.
- Add the juice of a lemon over the syrup formed and leave it on the fire for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the syrup to cool / quiet for about 5 minutes.
- Then put the syrup in glass containers (sterilized recommended) which will close tightly.
Cover the containers with a towel or a thick blanket to cool more slowly (leave for about 12 hours). Thus the syrup will last, without altering, for as long as possible.
Store in a cool, dark place.
- Let's not forget the remaining pulp, we don't throw it away, we can prepare a delicious puree with bee honey ...
Store in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator.
Once a bottle of syrup is opened, it must be refrigerated and consumed within 30 days.
For therapeutic purposes, however, we recommend rhubarb maceration with honey, but it can be kept only 3-4 days (cold).
It can also be used as a sweetener in various beverages.
Consume a large spoon (~ 40 ml) taken as such or in combination with various liquids when you feel the need, however it is not recommended to exceed 5 servings per day, as it can become a diuretic.
It is not recommended to consume it in the form of juice immediately after a meal.
The remaining pulp, mixed with honey is delicious.
- rich in minerals and vitamins such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc and vitamin K and C
- good for treating anemia, anorexia and asthenia
Therefore, for a correct diagnosis and treatment, it is recommended to consult a specialist.